Friday, December 13, 2013

Grattitude

I'm grateful for friendships. And God. And good smelling candles. And Christmas. I've been a total Grinch this year. But I went to an ugly sweater event tonight. And though my sweater was itchy and over-sized, it was the first time I have felt Christmas Spirit all month.

Things never work out the way we want them to. I want things in my life that would make it easier. Like a car that is not broken. And I would like to make more money at my job so I can make pot roast and not feel like the economic inflation is eating away the contents of my wallet and my soul. And I would like for people to be more pleasant. And for the world to be peaceful and stuff.

Outside of those things, I feel gratitude. I have a bed. With pillows and sheets and blankets that keep me warm when I complain that my roommates are too cheap to turn the heat on in my house. I'm grateful for all of the ugly. And all of the bad. And the sick. And the broken. Because without all of that, I wouldn't appreciate the good I have. I wouldn't appreciate clean, running water or fresh fruit or gasoline. I have a lot of things in my life that I take for granted. Like light switches. And it's good to be reminded of how ungrateful I am throughout the year. Christmas does this to me.

God provides for His children. All the time. And even though I don't always appreciate it, I'm grateful for the moments when I do appreciate His gifts.

I feel like a lot of times I find myself complaining that things aren't perfect. That if only something were more or less or different. I have so many blessings that I overlook because of my what-ifs, my if-only's and my not-enough's. Today I'm hoping to change this outlook.

Someone told me recently that Advent is a time for change. A time to clean out all of the clutter and make room for Christ's joy. I think I'm going to try this.

I'm grateful for the gospel in my life. And for Heavenly Fathers continuous presence even when I don't seek Him out. He is here for me. And for you too. And I think that is really rad.

So, today - I'm grateful. And that's all I felt like sharing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment